Caleb Flynn, a former American Idol contestant and worship pastor, was sentenced to life in prison without the possibility of parole on Monday, October 5, 2026, for the murder of his wife Ashley Flynn. The 40-year-old from Tipp City, Ohio, maintained his innocence until the very end, telling a Miami County courtroom that he did not kill his wife.
The Murder of Ashley Flynn
In the early hours of February 16, 2026, Caleb Flynn shot his 37-year-old wife Ashley Flynn twice in the head inside their Tipp City home, according to prosecutors. Flynn then staged the scene to look like a home invasion and called 911 claiming an intruder was responsible, the Associated Press reported.
Ashley Flynn was a schoolteacher and middle-school volleyball coach, and a mother of two daughters, Ava and Alyssa, who were 10 and 12 at sentencing. Prosecutors told jurors the motive was Flynn's affair: he wanted a new life with his 24-year-old mistress, Alleigha Botner. The night before the killing, Flynn texted Botner: "I choose you. I'm free. Actions will come tomorrow." Botner testified that Flynn told her he hated Ashley and had thoughts of killing her. Investigators also showed his devices recorded him moving around the house at the time he claimed to have been asleep.
The Trial and Conviction
The trial began September 17, 2026 in Miami County Common Pleas Court in Troy, Ohio. After about three hours of deliberations, a jury convicted Flynn on September 29 of aggravated murder, murder, felonious assault, and tampering with evidence — nine counts in total, according to the AP and USA Today.
The defense argued investigators found no evidence Flynn fired a gun that day, and the 9mm murder weapon was never recovered. Flynn did not testify, and his attorneys called no defense witnesses.
Life Sentence Without Parole
At sentencing on October 5, Judge Jeannine Pratt imposed life in prison without parole, plus consecutive sentences for the firearm and evidence-tampering charges. The judge said Flynn had used his Christian faith to manipulate others and showed no remorse for what she called "layers of deceit, manipulation and cruelty."
"As I stand here before God, who is my ultimate judge, I am not lying when I say I did not kill my wife… I will continue to fight for my innocence as long as the Lord allows me to."
— Caleb Flynn, at his sentencing hearing
Ashley's daughter Alyssa, 12, addressed her father directly in a victim impact statement: "By the way, I don't plan on coming to see you."
Flynn's brief appearance on American Idol — he auditioned in 2013 but never reached the Hollywood rounds — drew national attention to the case, with outlets from AP to the Cincinnati Enquirer covering the trial. His attorneys are expected to appeal.
Watch: WATCH LIVE: The sentencing of convicted murderer Caleb Flynn — Courtroom Insider's full live stream of the October 5 sentencing hearing, including victim impact statements and Judge Pratt imposing life without parole.
🎵 Music: Kevin MacLeod – Hitman (incompetech.com), licensed under CC BY 3.0
Sources: Associated Press, USA Today, Cincinnati Enquirer